How do I get my maiden name back?

Posted by on Feb 6, 2013 in Blog, Divorce | Comments Off on How do I get my maiden name back?

How do I get my maiden name back?

How do I get my maiden name back?

There are essentially three ways in which one can legally resume the use of their maiden name.

First, you can make a request as part of your divorce and permission for the name change will be done at the time of the entry of the Final Judgment of Divorce.  The Court will permit this name change unless you are doing it to avoid creditors, as part of a bankruptcy petition, or to avoid criminal prosecution.

Second, in the event that a Final Judgment of Divorce has already been entered then you may file a motion with the Court seeking permission to resume the use of your maiden name.  The same prohibitions apply.

Third, you can file a complaint in the Law Division to change your name.  However, the current court fees for proceeding in this fashion are higher and there are additional procedural requirements that need to be followed.

If you believe that you may be interested in resuming your maiden name, you should include it with your divorce complaint and have it appear on the Final Judgment of Divorce.  It will save you time and money and you can even change your mind after the fact and not formally change your name (to do that you would need to bring the paperwork to the Motor Vehicle Commission and Social Security).

All of the attorneys at Domers & Bonamassa are well versed and have years of experience addressing family law issues, no matter how complicated.  Contact us today at (856) 596-2888 for a private consultation.  We appear in the following counties:  Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem, Mercer, Ocean, Atlantic and Cape May.  Our practice areas include:  divorce, custody, parenting time, child support, alimony, domestic violence, college expenses, equitable distribution, name changes, step parent adoptions, paternity issues, child abuse and neglect, prenuptial agreements, mediation and arbitration.


This posting is provided by Domers & Bonamassa, P.C. for their clients, advisors and other interested persons. Since technical information is presented in a generalized fashion, the communication is not meant to replace the need for competent professional advice and the reader should understand that the information contained in or made available through this communication is not intended to be a substitute for the services of trained professionals. As such, the read should evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of any comments, including any reliance on accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content.